St. Edward Church is a Roman Catholic community of believers, rich in tradition and diversity. We provide an atmosphere in which parishioners of all ages and cultures share faith through Sacramental and Liturgical celebrations, on-going faith-formation, and other social and spiritual events which enable us to connect our faith with the world in which we live. We invite all to be part of the Body of Christ, the People of God, the building of the Kingdom of heaven on earth.
Due to the overcrowded conditions of St. Patrick’s Church and School and the rapid growth of South Nashville, the late Bishop Adrian made the decision to establish a new parish. Plans for a church and school were developed for property on Thompson Lane.
In June of 1952, Father Aaron Gildea was appointed the first pastor of Saint Edward Church. Bishop Adrian dedicated the Church and School on June 21, 1952.
The first school year began on September 2, 1952 with an enrollment of 142 students. The Sisters of Mercy conducted the school. The staff was composed of three sisters and one lay teacher. In August of 1953, Father Paul Caldwell became the second pastor. In 1961, Father Ned Elliott became the new pastor. The parish purchased the house and lot adjoining the property on the east side. Before the departure of Father Elliott, a new addition of eight classrooms and a library was constructed.
In 1969, Father Paul Hostettler began a two year period as pastor. Father John Cain replaced Father Hostettler in July, 1971.
Father Pat Connor came to Saint Edward in 1978. Saint Edward School, which at the beginning had a faculty consisting of only four, had grown to a faculty of twenty, including full-time teachers in art, music, library, and physical education. Father Connor began the construction for the Family Life Center.
Father Joseph Patrick Breen came to Saint Edward in October of 1984. During the 30 years of tenure that Father Breen has been at St. Edward, he has made many improvements for the Church and School. In 1991, he totally renovated the Church. The curriculum has been upgraded by the addition of a computer lab, a full-time technology director, counselor, a learning center and a reading teacher. A covered pavilion has been added to the grounds and the playground equipment has been replaced or revitalized.
In November of 1999, construction was completed on a new addition that includes new pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, and 1st grade classrooms as well as religious education and church offices. The pastor’s rectory is also incorporated into the new structure along with a multi purpose room (Carell room) that is also being utilized for school’s after school care and summer care program.
In June of 1999, the original elementary wing of the school sustained significant damage from a heavy rain storm, which led to the collapse of the roof. Demolition of this wing was completed in January 2000. Construction on this portion of the school which house grades 1 through 4, the school cafeteria, teacher lounge and workroom, and school offices was completed in the Fall of 2000.
After Father Breen’s retirement in 2014, Father Mark J. Nolte came to Saint Edward as pastor in August 2014 along with Father Daniel J. Reehil, our associate pastor. Father Nolte returned to the Diocese of Omaha in July 2016 and Father Reehil was installed at the pastor of St. Edward on July 31, 2016 by Bishop Choby.
St. Edward School has now served the Nashville community for 65 years providing a Catholic education, which focuses on spiritual value, academic excellence, and social maturity. We are proud of our parish and school, our parents, students, pastor, teacher and principal who, throughout the years have helped make this community what it is today.